Weapons of Reason: The Arctic
Ambitious, personal and driven by our desire to use design as a force for good, Weapons of Reason is our own four-year publishing project: a magazine to explore the biggest challenges shaping our world. Issue one? The Arctic...
“Weapons of Reason uses the power of data, images and words to reveal the rich insights that are required ingredients for addressing our most important global issues.”
- Weapons of Reason (WoR) aims to take the most complex challenges facing the world and communicate them simply and powerfully to the widest audience possible.
- Our goal wasn’t to provide answers, but instead ask the right questions and inspire people to join the dots for themselves.
- Most importantly, WoR’s goal is to turn knowledge into action.
- We chose ‘The Arctic’ as the debut issue to be explore the the first publication in WoR’s four-year, bi-annual magazine project.
- Using longform storytelling, illustration and striking data visualisations, we divided our 116-page magazine into Past, Present and Future to convey the complex narrative of the Arctic’s issues in a clear, compelling fashion.
- We assembled a expansive team of journalists to delve deeply into the topic, seeking guidance from NASA scientists, polar experts, Nobel Prize winners, IPCC report contributors, climatologists, Inuit representatives, Arctic locals and many more.
- Leading illustrators, including Jean Jullien and Adrian Johnson, were commissioned to provide an accessible way to approach the huge topic with great visual thinking.
- We launched a responsive website featuring 15 action points related to our chosen topic, linking out to sharable data-points on Twitter.
- In the first week of its launch, WoR was featured on Creative Review, Stack, YCN, and Grafik.
- Al Gore, the man who inspired the project, is just one of the leading figures in the climate change debate to have received a copy of the magazine.
- Follow Weapons of Reason on Instagram, Twitter and read the issue Medium.