Facebook Business Brand Architecture
A powerful but subtle visual language to unify some of the world's most popular tools.
- Facebook Business is the umbrella brand and sales portal for a broad suite of Facebook products, including Instagram, WhatsApp and Oculus.
- Facebook asked us to build a visual identity system that would help people to see these products as a harmonious family of apps and services, rather than a group of disconnected entities.
- We needed to consider the unique positions of all products, organise a structure that could unify them and, at the same time, give each brand enough space to stand out.
- We began by exploring the design systems deployed by comparator organisations such as Google and Apple, which achieve a similar outcome to that required by Facebook.
- So as to maintain equity across each brand, we used a more neutral palette which allowed individual brands to shine when appropriate. This ensured that some of the more dominant brands, like Facebook and Whatsapp, didn’t overshadow any of the other products and services.
- We produced a set of brand guidelines that detailed the core principles of the system. This was supported by two working templates — for Powerpoint and Keynote — that could be supplied to global teams for use in their marketing or presentation materials.
- We created an elegant visual language — one that is practical, design-oriented and has the flexibility to be used by a wide array of global teams.
- By bringing equity and cohesion to diverse brands, our system makes it simple for Facebookers to present their products to colleagues, partners and policy-makers.