Skoll Center The State of SIE
Codifying the knowledge of an emerging field with a groundbreaking printed report, a website and an interactive data visualisation.
The #StateofSIE is a landmark report from the @SkollCenterSIE that explores the views and insights of artists and industry experts that are helping change the world through entertainment.
- Based out of UCLA, the Skoll Center for Social Impact Entertainment (SIE) explores how works of entertainment can help drive social change.
- In 2017, the Center asked us to help them create a groundbreaking thought leadership report and an accompanying website exploring social impact entertainment.
- The aim was to codify the disparate knowledge of their emerging field, map its current landscape, and highlight the importance of SIE from a financial, social and cultural perspective.
- Working with the Skoll Center, we needed to collate insights from a range of experts including Hollywood A-listers, directors, producers, and established academics and theorists. These insights needed to be underpinned by robust, beautifully visualised data points.
- The report needed to capture the attention of time-poor Hollywood executives as well as nonprofit leaders, social entrepreneurs and the next generation of SIE storytellers.
- We undertook an extensive discovery phase which included a complete audit of the leading literature and research in the field. This process introduced us to many of the key players in the space and laid the foundations for much of the report content going forward.
- We devised a bold visual identity that reflected the overarching goals of the report itself. Our usage of colourful shapes as “building blocks” echoed the Center’s desire to bring together the disparate issues, organisations and thinking in the field of SIE.
- We held workshops with the Skoll Center to decide which individuals to approach for the report. Our final shortlist was comprised of a diverse range of contributors who could speak to different issues with real authority.
- We worked alongside The Skoll Center and a PR team to secure high-profile contributors including actor and activist Leonardo DiCaprio, directors Tom McCarthy and Gina Prince-Bythewood, and playwright Eve Ensler.
- We conducted interviews with our 52 contributors, before commissioning specialised ghostwriters to turn those interviews into powerful articles.
- We travelled to LA and commissioned a team of experts to help us collect data for the report. Once research was completed, we helped establish a comprehensive data narrative by plotting each point to a relevant article, before designing the entire suite of data.
- We also undertook complex data design and development of the SIE Map — a data visualisation of the current landscape of social impact entertainment, featuring SIE-related organisations, production companies, funders and more.
- Throughout the process, designers and developers worked in tandem to build a website capable of housing the complete report content, including an interactive version of the map. This website was highly optimised for search, sharing and speed.
- Two years in the making, the report was officially launched at the offices of the Creative Artists Agency (CAA) on the 5th March, 2019. The website went live on the same day.
- We organised the printing and delivery of over 1,000 copies of The State of SIE for the launch in LA.
- From Sundance to PBS, Hollywood A-listers to the funders and theorists behind social impact entertainment: the report captures the learnings of a plethora of influential experts and organisations.
- Many contributors shared news of the report’s release on their social media accounts, including Leonardo DiCaprio, Gina Prince-Bythewood and Dustin Lance Black. These contributors’ tweets alone reached over 20,000,000 people.
- The LA Times penned an article about the State of SIE, and the launch was covered extensively by the press on both sides of the Atlantic.
- Read The State of SIE report.